Despite ideal conditions and the enthusiastic support of a packed beach, the Cape Town surfing community fell short in their attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the ‘most surfers riding the same wave’ at the BOS Earthwave Beach Festival at Muizenberg on Sunday.
More than 300 surfers of every age and ability paddled out in brilliant sunshine, a gentle offshore breeze and waist to shoulder high waves with great expectations of beating the record of 110 set at Earthwave 2009. After an hour and seven attempts, the best tally posted on the day was 84.
The fifth edition of the two-day festival of beach and surf culture that uses the interest surrounding world record attempts to generate awareness of sustainable lifestyle choices was the best to date.
Champions were crowned in provincial schools and longboard surfing and, for the first time in this country, in tandem surfing. There was also a touch rugby tournament, a stand up paddle (SUP) race to Kalk Bay and back and an attempt to set a world record for the longest line of surfboards on a beach’.
The sports events were staged alongside talks and presentations on environmental topics, free testing for various medical conditions, the BOS Dig for Gold treasure hunt and fund-raising for the Sunflower Fund and Shark Spotters program.
The festival concluded with an after-party at the Brass Bell in Kalk Bay on Sunday evening where comedian Mark Sampson, SA’s funniest surfer, and live music act Paul & Stef entertained the revelers and the official result of the Guinness World Record attempt, based on photographic evidence, was announced.
For the latest information of the BOS Earthwave Beach Festival go to www.facebook.com/BOS.Earthwave or www.kahunasurf.co.za where you will find information on the program of events, images and videos. Follow the activities on Twitter @BOSEarthwave.
About BOS Ice Tea
- BOS is a range of organic rooibos ice teas blended with all-natural fruit flavours – peach, lemon, apple, berry, lime & ginger and cranberry energy. It is preservative, colourant and caffeine free.
- The BOS packaging is bold, colourful, and graphic exuding a youthful and open spirit.
- BOS Ice Tea appeals to people of all ages who have an optimistic outlook on life, an appreciation for great aesthetics, and a desire to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The BOS philosophy is – ”Being healthy and being robustly cool haven’t always gone together, but they can.”
- BOS premium quality organic rooibos is farmed exclusively at Klipopmekaar rooibos farm and private nature reserve. At the vanguard of organic and ethical farming, Klipopmekaar’s approach is intrinsic to the BOS experience.
- BOS plants and maintains 1 tree for every 2000 cans or packs sold. We focus this initiative in under-privileged and under-greened schools and public spaces.
- BOS likes to engage, have fun, give joyful experiences and share a sense of life and living.
- For more info visit WWW.BOSICETEA.COM
The BOS Earthwave Beach Festival is produced by Kahuna Promotions and supported by People’s Post and Wavescape.co.za, the official print and digital media partners respectively, and Corner Chat. The surfing events are sanctioned by Surfing South Africa (SSA), the national controlling body for the sport.